Wowsers, I can't believe I have a One Month old! I feel like so much has happened in the last month that I don't even know where to start...I couldn't be happier or more thankful for this last month with our sweet baby girl! I've always believed the saying "There is no greater love than the love for your child," but to truly experience it is something else. It's scary to think that someone needs you so much, but to know that you are able to provide that care is a very rewarding feeling. The late night feedings aren't so bad when you get sweet smiles afterwards; the crying and poopy diapers, that's a different story.
Lucky for me, Gerald was home for the first month and we had tons of visitors. My mom, in-laws, sister-in-law, niece, brother and future sister-in law all made this first month with Ella very memorable. For the most part, Ella has been an easy baby. She only cries or fusses when she is hungry or tired. I know that will change soon but for now, i'll take it. Granted she was in a sleepy phase the first 3 weeks, but she is slowly overcoming that and still is as happy as ever. She gives us tons of smiles, which made this first month pretty easy to manage.
We had family and friends help us cook, clean, and watch over her while we adjusted to parenthood. I'd have to say that having help during your first month with a newborn is key to a healthy, happy relationship with you, your husband and the baby. Gerald and I pretty much did everything for Ella as if we were on our own, but we just didn't have to worry about the extras that come with every day life so we could just focus and bond with her. We were able to sneak in a trip to SF, go grocery shopping, Target, and a couple of in town outings without much stress. Not to mention get some sleep, which is key to a happy Mommy and Daddy. I'm pretty bad about following the rule "sleep when baby sleeps," so I need to work on that. Other than that,it's been a fun month with Miss Ella!
Here are some Ella-isms at Month One:
Weight: 9lbs 5 oz
Height: 21.5 inches
Features: straight black hair, dark brown eyes with double lid(barely), wee dimple on the left cheek
Likes: bath time, getting hair brushed, sitting in poopy diaper, rock n play, baby Einstein piano lullabies, riding in the car, when you sing and talk to her, smile after a full belly or sitting in a poopy diaper, rocking chair
Dislikes: getting clothes and diaper changed, tummy time, the bottle {when she knows she can have the boob}, the bassinet {this was good for the first 3 weeks}, pacifier
Movement: when she is not sleeping... she likes to stare up looking at who knows what, pushes her head up when you try to burp her, sucks her hand, does big long stretches after a good nap, and big wide yawns when she is just waking up
Sleeps: was sleeping in the bassinet up until 3 weeks; now she's in the rock n play. i occasionally bring her into bed with me after an early morning feed, which I love but know I can't get use to unless I want to have a co-sleeper on my hands. she averages about 2-3 hour stretches but occasionally will give me 4!
Eats: Great eater, latches well and can usually gulp down her milk within 10-15 minutes, if not quicker; feeds about every 2-3 hours. I had to wake her up the first 2 weeks about every 1.5-2 hrs to eat to help get rid of her jaundice and put some weight on her, but am now breastfeeding her on demand. as you can see by her chubby cheeks, she loves her milk.
Well, that's about it for Miss Ella and Month One! Now that the first and hopefully the hardest month is behind us, I can breathe a bit easier. Although I wish she can stay this small forever, I'm looking forward to the next months and seeing what kind of little girl she will become =)
Wow, the fact that she is smiling so early is really great. Forest wouldn't really give us a smile until 5/6 weeks and I have to say things got much easier once he started smiling at us. Just wait until she starts laughing. The best! I'm not surprised she's such a happy babe considering her momma and daddy's sweet personalities. You seem to be adjusting to motherhood beautifully and I am so happy for you! I can't wait to meet this darling baby!
ReplyDelete