Wednesday, 22 April 2015

Flying with a Baby

Gerald and I have done our fair share of flying and just when we thought we had it down, we had to throw a baby into the mix! Well, that changes up everything! We didn't want to stop traveling because we now have a baby, so instead decided to adjust our traveling with a baby. I'd have to admit, I was a bit hesitant about still keeping up with our travel bug, but after this first successful flight with Ella, I feel a lot more comfortable and now just want to keep going. Practice makes perfect, right? Granted, I know, all babies are different and with each new age and stage of life, things can get a bit out of whack, but as long as we have the basics down, I'm hoping we can manage. I mean, there's really no stopping now as we already have the following trips booked...
  • Houston, TX Wedding
  • Camping on the Coast
  • Ojai - Early anniversary trip for Gerald and I {w/ Ella}
  • Lincoln, Nebraska Wedding
  • Vegas, NV Wedding
  • Cabo, Mexico - Beach vacay
  • Los Angeles, Disney - Pena Family
  • Houston, TX September 
It just so happens that we have a few weddings to attend this year, which is good because it's forcing us to do it. I'm sure there will be many other weekend/day trips added to the list above, but just looking at this list is kind of overwhelming for me right now.

Anyhow, here's what we did for our first flight with Ella and I'd have to say it was a success in my books! No tears for both mommy and baby =P In fact, we actually got lots of smiles and laughter, which is always a plus. So I pretty much organized and did all of my packing throughout the week with the big check and pack the night before, including my stuff {Thank God Gerald does his own packing!} That way the day of the flight, all I had to worry about was going about our everyday routine of getting up, eating, dressed and out the door. Gerald loaded the car up the night before with some of the items to make it easier in the morning. All I had to throw in the bag was her toiletries that we used from the morning and grab the breastmilk. Everything else was set out and ready to go. 


BFL to IAH - 11:20 am flight







  • We woke up, had breakfast, got ready and finished last minute packing for all of us. 
  • I nursed Ella right before we left for the airport at about 9:00 am. I wanted to make sure she was full and happy before going through the check in process.
  • We got to the airport, parked the car and hauled everything into the check in line, with Ella in the carseat and stroller. 
  • Gerald checked us in and we dropped off the checked luggage.
  • We headed to security with the stroller {Ella is still in the carseat}, and our carryons. I had my diaper bag and a backpack with extra items for myself and Ella. 
  • I made sure that I only had one bag of liquid items and my ipad easily accessible to take out for security, out of the same bag, so I didn't even have to open the other bag.
  • I brought frozen breastmilk on this flight hoping Ella would take the bottle; I just had it in a little cooler bag. They asked that I just throw it into the bin for xray. No biggie and you can bring how ever much you want, no limit.
  • After putting everything I needed through the xray machine, I got Ella out of the carseat and Gerald detached the carseat from the stroller and put it through the xray machine. The stroller didn't fit through, so they just took it to the side and swabbed it. In Houston, they made us snap off the car seat attachment and wheels to make it fit. I guess it just depends on the airport.
  • Ella and I walked through the metal detector machine together and I started compiling all my stuff into a bag, while holding her. I then grabbed the bags and moved off to the side.
  • Gerald managed to get everything else and met us on the side to reorganize. 
  • At this point, we were through security, yay! We didn't have a lot of time to hang out so went on to the next step, Can we bring the carseat on the plane? We asked the attendant and they said they were expecting a full flight, so No.
  • I proceeded to wear Ella in my Solly Baby wrap, while Gerald got the equipment together to drop off at the gate check. He had to take the car seat attachment and one wheel off in order for the stroller to fit into the gate check bag that we bought. 
  • We just hung out near the gate until pretty much everybody boarded, we didn't need any overhead bin space so I like to wait until the very end to get on the plane, especially with a baby and it worked out great. 
  • Gerald dropped off the gate check items at the gate and we boarded the plane. Since I was wearing Ella {she was sleeping}, I was still able to hold my bags and get organized at my seat with no problems. I highly recommend this.
  • I took Ella out prior to us taking off so I could nurse her {I did it a bit too early, so I would suggest waiting until you are on the runway with nose in the air before latching or bottle feeding so she doesn't finish too quickly before you reach cruising altitude.}
  • After we reached cruising altitude, Ella was still sleeping pretty much so I put her back into the wrap and let her sleep on me for the next two hours while I read a book on my iPad. AMAZING! ha...
  • After two hours, she woke up and wanted out of the wrap so Gerald took her and played with her for the next hour. We let her look out the window, stand on our laps, and just chill out. She never got fussy so we didn't have to get up and walk her up and down the aisle, but that was in our soothing plan if needed. 
  • It was time for landing, so I waited until the Captain said we had 15 minutes until landing to nurse her for landing. Again, I did it a bit too soon because before we touched down, she was done eating. I gave her back to Gerald and she just sat on his lap until we touched down, falling asleep along the way, ha! She of course, woke up as we touched down, and I said a big Hallelujah in my mind! We completed our first flight with a baby with no tears!
  • We waited until everyone de-boarded the plane until we de-boarded so it would be easier. Plus, I had to get my wrap readjusted so I could wear her out.
  • Our gate check bag was the first to come out so that was perfect. We hauled everything out of the gate, found an open spot in the terminal to put the stroller together and headed down to baggage claim. I wore Ella since I already had her and she was content. 
  • Once we got down to baggage claim, I found a restroom so I could change her before heading to Sugar Land.
  • I'd have to say, I was really impressed with Ella and proud of us for going through all of the above without any real hiccups. Let's just hope this is the case for all of our other flights.
  • Dressing baby in layers for the flight is key, because our flight was pretty hot so it was nice that we could just take off her pants, socks, etc.  
IAH to BFL - 9:20 pm flight. We pretty much did all of the above with a few differences.





  • We got to the airport a bit earlier than when in BFL since it's a bigger airport and of course wanted to make sure we had plenty of time, so Ella had some time to play. This was good, because it gave her some free play before the flight so she could sleep.
  • Prior to boarding, I asked if there was an empty seat and there was so they let us bring the car seat on. Gerald organized the stroller into the gate check bag and threw the car seat base in with it.
  • When boarding, I wore Ella and Gerald carried the stroller bag and car seat. He dropped off the stroller bag for gate check and carried the car seat on the plane. 
  • We placed the car seat in the empty seat by the window unbuckled until after we reached cruising altitude and Ella was ready to get in it. The seat belt strap goes over the car seat so it's best to not have it strapped in until the baby is in since the belt gets in the way of her legs.
  • This was a super easy flight because after nursing on the way up, Ella fell asleep, I put her in the car seat afterwards and she slept until it was time to nurse her down for landing.
  • She of course, woke up on landing and we did the same thing exiting the plane.
  • That concludes flight number two with a baby and again, a huge success! 
  • Of course, that is flying with help. I'm pretty sure we're going to have to to change it up a bit when I'm traveling alone with her...eeeks!
I hope your first flight with a baby is as successful as ours, but if not, don't worry because practice makes perfect, and I'm sure you'll do just fine! Just remember, don't worry about what other people think or say to you. Your main focus is making you and your baby happy. The more relaxed you are, the more relaxed baby will be and everything else! 

Happy Flying!


No comments:

Post a Comment